Friday, June 20, 2014

Punny Blooks with a Dusty Theme

I suppose that the last post made me think of blooks with funny titles. Nothing pleases me more when I'm a little down than looking at my blook collection. Those with silly titles crack me up every time. Even thinking about them makes me smile. They aren't valuable antiques, beautiful objects or important historic artifacts, in fact if they were real books, they would fall under the practical how-to, pulp fiction and humor subject categories. They may be humble, but anything that makes us laugh should not be underestimated.

Not So Dusty, by Y. B. Untidy is a diminutive clothing brush in book form, probably for keeping in one's pocket or purse. I don't know if it's American, Canadian or English, or exactly what date it is. It is hand-painted and for some time, I thought it was a unique object, until I saw another one, so it must be the product of a a cottage industry or, perhaps these were commercially available and someone of artistic bent had the idea to add value and resell them. In any case, it's funny, isn't it?

Crime Does Not Pay, by Dusty Evsky is a novelty 'punchline' book from the late 1940s. Humorous, slightly raunchy blooks like these were made in the thousands and sold as souvenirs throughout the U.S. Their purpose was to lift the morale of guys in the armed services.


No comments:

Post a Comment